From the Packsacks of a Computer Science Teacher in Northern Canada
=== by Bob Sutherland ===
Hello and welcome. This is a hobby website I started as a retirement project. It is a way of sharing some of the materials I collected in my packsacks during many years of teaching in Canada's remote northern communities. Now I am branching out and adding new content based on other sources of inspiration. There is no unifying theme. It is just a haphazard collection of web pages that I hope someone will find interesting or useful.
This website has cookies, advertising and security monitoring.
- Photo Editing Software
- Here is a list of some free programs and shareware programs that can be used for photo editing.
- Measuring Your Screen
- Do you know the measurements of your screen's height, width and colour depth? This page can measure them for you.
- Problem Solving Puzzles
- A few simple problem solving puzzles to give your brain some exercise.
- How to find Polaris the North Star
- A simple field guide for finding Polaris the North Star, the Big Dipper and the Cassiopeia constellation in the night sky.
- Canadian School Closure Policies due to Weather Conditions
- An explanation of when Canadian school principals or school board officials are likely to close schools due to weather conditions.
- Frozen cars and trucks
- What happens to vehicles when the temperature drops to -40 degrees Celsius? The simple answer is they freeze, break and tend not to work. During my teaching career I have driven three pickup sized trucks that I have owned into subarctic communities. I have then tried to keep them operational throughout the winter as temperatures sometimes dropped below -40 degrees Celsius. Here is a description of my experiences.
- Number Charts Menu
- This is a collection of number lists, conversion charts and math review notes for topics I have taught in Math, Science and Computer classrooms. Included are Roman Numerals; binary, octal and hexadecimal numbers; base 26 Alphabet numbers; base 32, base 60 and base 64 numbers; numbers squared; numbers cubed; and some exponent lists that include powers of 2, 8, 16, 26, 32, 60 and 64.
- Measurement Conversion Menu
- This is a collection of conversion charts for temperature, distance, weight and liquid measurements. Included are Fahreheit, Celsius and Kelvin; inches, feet, yards, centimetres and metres; miles, nautical miles and kilometres; pounds and kilograms; Imperial gallons, U.S.A. liquid gallons and litres.
- Vehicle Fuel Consumption Menu
- This is a collection of charts for converting between kilometres per litre, litres per 100 kilometres, miles per gallon using United States liquid gallons, and miles per gallon using Imperial gallons.
- Canadian War Photographs Menu
- This is primarily a collection of Canadian military photographs taken in Belgium and France during World War I and the D-Day invasion of World War II. The collection includes photographs of some memorials, parks and cemeteries in France and Belgium that honour the sacrifice of the Canadian soldiers.
- Northern Canada Photographs
- This section of my website contains my photographs. Currently on display are video slideshows showing photographs of some of the remote, northern First Nation, Metis and Inuit communities where I have taught.
- A bit of Latin
- On this page you will find definitions of e.g., i.e., etc., et al, informal versus formal writing style, Latin Quarter and a few other things that I usually teach my students during the first week of school in my courses.
- Temperature and Weather
- Having named my website after a very cold temperature it only seems fitting that I should devote a page of my website to information about thermometers, temperature, weather, climate, wind chill, frostnip, frostbite, meteorology, climatology, global warming and -40 degrees.
- Trouble straight ahead!
- Surf while you can, the end of the Internet may be coming sooner than you expect.
- Canadian English Computer Keyboard
- Information and some pictures of the standard Canadian English computer keyboard used in schools, homes, government and business offices.
- Computer Keyboard Terminology
- Do you know the names of the keys on your computer keyboard? Here are some diagrams and lists to help you learn them.
- What is a Computer Cookie?
- A typical computer cookie is shown on the screen with a description of its parts, how it is formed, where it is located and some things it can do.
- How to Clean a Computer
- Instructions of various simple things you can do to clean the parts of your computer including the keyboard, screen, printer and that disarray of files littering your desktop.
- Dracula's Definitions of Computer Memory Sizes
- The following two web pages contain definitions of bit, nibble, byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, terabyte and so on with charts to help you.
- Traditional Measuring Units for Computer Memory
The traditional definitions of computer memory size units that I first learned and taught my students throughout my teaching career.
- Modern Measuring Units for Computer Memory
A listing of the four different charts of computer memory unit sizes that standardization committees have created. Many companies are now using one of these four charts. You just have to figure out which chart a particular company is using under what circumstances.
- Web Colour Charts Menu
- My collection of colour charts with large colour patches that I created to assist me in creating web pages. The colours are labelled using RGB (red-green-blue) hexadecimal numbers.
- Computer Fonts for Web Pages
- The following three web pages summarize my research as I was trying to select fonts for my web site.
- Computer Fonts Introduction and Definitions
An introduction to the topic of computer fonts including definitions, font classification systems, and Internet font families.
- Linux Fonts
The Ubuntu and Linux Mint fonts arranged according to whether they are monospaced, proportional, serif, sans-serif, cursive or fantasy.
- Macintosh Fonts
Macintosh fonts arranged according to whether they are monospaced, proportional, serif, sans-serif, cursive or fantasy. Many common fonts for Windows are included here.