Powers, Exponents and Scientific Notation
=== by Bob Sutherland ===
This is a collection of number lists and math review notes involving powers, exponents and scientific notation.
- A Math Review of Powers, Exponents and Scientific Notation
- A math review of the basic terminology and symbols used to represent powers, exponents, square roots, cube roots and scientific notation.
- List of Numbers Squared
- A list of the numbers from 0 to 4000 and the value of each number squared.
- List of Numbers Cubed
- A list of the numbers from 0 to 4000 and the value of each number cubed.
- Lists of the Powers of 2, 8 and 16
- If you develop the habit of reading the technical specifications of computer hardware and software you will soon realize that there is a pattern to the numbers. Almost always the measurements listed in a computer's technical specifications will be numbers from the following six charts. All six charts are included on the webpage.
- 2n = powers of 2
- 2n-1 = one less than the powers of 2
- 8n = powers of 8
- 8n-1 = one less than the powers of 8
- 16n = powers of 16
- 16n-1 = one less than the powers of 16
- Lists of the Powers of 26, 32, 60 and 64
- Four charts are included on the webpage.
- 26n = powers of 26
- 32n = powers of 32
- 60n = powers of 60
- 64n = powers of 64
- A Quick Computer Skills Aptitude Test
- Find two places where the pattern changes in this computer calculated sequence of numbers. Explain why the pattern changes. Does the pattern change indicate that your computer made an error when calculating and displaying the numbers on your screen or is something else happening?